What is Orthodontic Treatment?
Orthodontics is the specialist branch of dentistry concerned with the growth and development of the teeth and jaws. Malocclusion (or 'bad bite') is the term given to irregularities of the teeth and jaws. Orthodontic treatment aims to correct malocclusion making the best of you teeth and improving the harmony of your mouth and jaws. Once your bite has been improved, you can eat more comfortably and care for your teeth and gums more easily. Your improved smile is not to be overlooked as self-esteem and confidence can be life-changing.
Get a Confident Smile and Improved Dental Appearance
Most orthodontic treatment involves braces on the teeth and is usually carried out in the early teens. However, there several different options for brace treatment and orthodontic treatment can be done at any age; it's never to late to get an improvement in your smile.
Reasons for Treatment
Apart from an improved smile, there are a number of other reason for seeking orthodontic treatment:
- Impacted and missing teeth
- Protruding upper front teeth (overjet) and reverse bite of the front teeth (underbite)
- Cross-bites of back and front teeth causing jaw joint problems
- Crowded teeth when the jaws are too small for all the teeth
- Overbites when the lower teeth bite on the upper gum